When I was first starting out in my Web Design business, I would often ask my Mom for feedback. She would always say, "Make it easier to read." Readability became a major concern for me.
Why is readability of your website important?
You want to keep the door of your business open to all segments of the population by giving them a pleasant viewing experience. The online reader wants different things than those reading for pleasure. They are looking for information and want to find it quickly and easily.
My Mom is not the only one who has a challenge reading web pages.
Here are some tips to make your Web pages easier to read:
1. Break up blocks of text by keeping sentences and paragraphs short. Use numbered or bullet lists. Highlight or bold main points.
2. Don't use teeny tiny font sizes.
3. ON THE OTHER HAND, DON'T USE ALL UPPER CASE TEXT
- PEOPLE WILL THINK YOU ARE SCREAMING AT THEM!
4. Use contrasting colors. Text is easiest to read when the text color and the background color are in high contrast. Back or dark text on a white or light background is much easier on the eyes than light text on a dark background.
5. Leave some white space between the paragraphs to give your website a clean look.